Bowen State High School has an extensive work experience program that allows students to gain industry experience with local businesses. The opportunities afford students a unique insight into their chosen career path and to gain valuable employable skills while still at school.
Career Investigation and Apprenticeship Readiness Tours
Bowen State High School prides itself on the opportunities available to our senior students to help prepare them for school to work transition including Career Investigation Tours and Apprenticeship Readiness Tours. This program has grown over the years and as you see below an extensive list os on offer. They are:
- Miracles of Medicine Tour – Bowen Hospital, Murroona Gardens and Flexicare
- Coal to Ships – Abbot Point Operations, Tugs, Pilot Boats and VMR
- Aquaculture in Action – Tassal Prawn Farm, Arabon and Bowen Fisherman's Seafood
- On Track to Train – Aurizon
- Mind on Mining – Thiess Collinsville Mine
- Spin on Specialist – OT4U, Paramedic, Psychology
- Deadly Defence – Lavarack Barracks
- Aimed at Animals – Billabong Zoo, Equine Vet Hospital
- More at the Mill – Wilmar Sugar
- Emergency Escape – Police Academy, Fire and Rescue Training Facility
- Ladies as Tradies – Abbot Point Operations and Aurizon
- Totally Tourism – Hayman Island, Hotel School
- Rendezvous on the Reef – AIMS, Aquarium Townsville
Each tour is designed to allow students to explore and
discover their career pathway. Tours to Aurizon, Adani and Wilmar
Sugar are for students specifically in Year 12 who intend applying for
apprenticeships. Students are taken through induction, a tour of the
plant and associated trades then taken through a job application and interview
selection process to help them through this process.
Bowen High offers a range of Vocational Education and Training Certificates and courses. We have a strong partnership with a number of external registered training organisations. Our Vocational pathways allow students to complete their Queensland Certifiate of Education whilst gaining high level qualifications in the fields of fitness, sport and recreation, automotive, hospitality, engineering, retail, business, diesel fitting and more. School-based traineeships and apprenticeships are also available. Some of the Certificates on offer through R.T.Os.
Certificate II Diesel Fitting
Certificate II Engineering
CQ University RTO number: 40939
CQ University is delivering and assessing the following courses:
PMA20116 Certificate II in Process Plant Operations
HLT23215 Certificate II in Health Support Services
SIT20316 Certificate II in Hospitality
These courses are funded by the Queensland Government through the VET in Schools (VETiS) initiative.
Certificate III Fitness